Thursday, February 24, 2011

I don't understand skinny people

My dear mother, Carolyn, ("Nana" to her grandchildren) is a skinny person with a skinny person's mentality.  Of course she's going to have a quick come back to this...something like that she's bigger than she's ever been before or maybe that she can't even fit in to her clothes, blah blah blah, I've heard it all.  Carolyn, you are a skinny person with a skinny person's mentality, end of story, period, infinity squared, and I just can't understand it.  I did not inherit this gene.  I inherited plus-sized jeans instead.  Food and I have been friends for so long that it knows me better than most people do.

I don't understand how a skinny person's mind operates. It is as far from my reasoning as the East is from the West, as far as Chalkville Mountain is from Rodeo Drive, as far as Ben and Jerry's is from Great Value Vanilla, you get the idea.  My mother can turn her back on food quicker than Charlie Sheen changes girlfriends and never give it a second thought.  If she's not hungry she's not going to eat it no matter how good it looks. I've known her to make a bag of Oreo's last for several weeks.  How does anyone do this?  It's that skinny person's mindset, I'm telling you, and I just don't understand it.  How can anyone pass an opened bag of Oreo's and not get one?  How can anyone pass a bag of Oreo's that's NOT opened and not get one?  Food is seductive and I'm a sucker who falls for it the same way my friend June Matthews falls for the names on Clairol bottles (of course "Pretty Surfer, Adorable Sun Kissed Blonde" or "Cute as Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle, Blonde" makes you want to pick it up and pour it all over your head, I understand girlfriend, just like that pizza on TV that's dripping with gooey cheese makes me want to call up Papa John's and get a delivery, quick) so whenever I hear a skinny person talk about what they eat I just want to call the doctor and make an appointment...for them.

I will talk more about this later...but for now my fridge is calling my name and I certainly don't want to disappoint  a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment