Saturday, February 12, 2011

An Ad Man's Sucker

Like I said before, blogging gives you a sense of self-realization like nothing else can.

I'll admit it, I am any ad man's sucker when it comes to good verbiage on the label.  If it appeals to my sense of imagination I'll buy it or at least give it a good, long, second glance.  Take my air freshener for example.  I bought something called "Brazilian Carnival" because the name just oozed with excitement and mystery; imagine my home in the suburbs turned in to a veritable street festival!  I could almost hear the Samba dancers in their little feathery costumes (and I do mean little) and those mile-high stilettos tapping down my hallway with that tall, tanned girl from Ipanema (if you're younger than 50 that probably went right over your head--ask your mother who I'm talking about)  as I stood there in the grocery aisle and imagined myself joining them on top of one of those glittery floats wearing a headdress that would give a Las Vegas showgirl goosebumps,  throwing out baubles and gewgaws to scores of admirers clamoring in the streets below.  Say "Corinthian leather" Ricardo Montalban, I feel a dance number coming on (never mind that he wasn't from Brazil but man could he roll those "rrrr's".)

Back to reality.

I must tell you that "Brazilian Carnival" smells ok, it actually has a nice pleasant aroma, but it did not produce a single Samba dancer in my living room.  And you know, when you get right down to it, I'm not even sure about the name any more.  After all, what does a carnival smell like in the first place?  I'm thinking old grease, motor oil and sweat.  This sounds more like what you'd find in a garage in Rio (or right here in Trussville for that matter)  and where does my personal float fit in with that?

My air freshener won't deter me however, I'm still a sucker for a good label. I've already got a date on the calendar for Calgon to come and take me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment