Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Robe by Any Other Name Smells Just as Sweet

Yes, that is no typo, I meant robe not rose.  I have one that I love, a robe that is, do you?  It was given to me by a dear friend several, several years ago for Christmas I think.  It's exact age is unknown but its comfort is not.  I absolutely love cuddling up in it when the days are cold and blustery in the Fall and Winter and even Spring when it's raining or there's an unseasonably cool evening.  I suppose it gets a "summer break" because of its warmth so maybe that's why it has held up as long as it has.  It is long, with a big fluffy collar, deep pockets and lots of room.  I loved it from the very first time when I unwrapped it from the package and tried it on.

While my old, beginning-to-get-ratty blue robe is one of my most favorite pieces of clothing that I own it is  not something that you want to have your picture taken in.  On Christmas mornings I've tried to remember to throw it over a chair before we start opening presents and the cameras came out.  As a somewhat hefty old broad compared to say, Uma Thurman, I look like the entire defensive line for the Green Bay Packers when I've got it on (and you know how those cameras add pounds!)  There is absolutely nothing sexy about it either.  I've tried cinching the belt in as tight as I dared and I still can't find a waist line (the term "haus Frau" comes to mind if I pass a mirror in it) There's a small hole about the size of a nickel down near the bottom that I haven't the foggiest as to how it got there but I don't even care except for when it catches on a chair and slings me across the room  in a big less-than-graceful swan stumble.)  I'm pretty sure that Murray gets a little embarrassed if I've got it on when I take him out to do his business in the middle of the night but he's had to just get over that--anything that requires a leash and poops in the yard is just going to have to take what they can get.

Over the years whatever my wonderful robe is made out of has gotten really "fuzzy" (making me look even more gigantic, kinda like a blue Jackie Gleason) and it has subsequently slipped to the "worse for wear" side of the fashion scale, but I'll still wear it like it was a $20,000 sable, unashamed, in my house.  I will not get rid of it until it has utterly fallen apart in the washer or the dryer though, it has become much like a faithful old friend...a rather ugly old friend but a faithful one all the same, ready to provide warmth and comfort as soon as I slip it on.  I dare say a pair of Jimmy Choos wouldn't do that for you.

Do you have clothes that you are attached to?  I don't think I'm alone with my attachment to my robe, I think you're out there but it may be with some other wearable thing.  Exactly what do you love that's in your closet?

2 comments:

  1. I have this black pair of lounge pants from Target that I will NEVER get rid of! I have sewed those puppies up sooo many times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog!
    My favorite item of clothing right now is a pink t-shirt that hangs to my knees. On the front is a row of bunny rabbits with sunglasses, and it says "sun your bunnies". My dad brought it home to me one day when he'd been out of town. Back then it was long enough for the sleeves to reach past my elbows, and the hem brushed my ankles. It's thin and ratty, hanging on by a thread with more holes than i'd like to count, but it stretches over my 8-month-belly perfectly.

    ReplyDelete